Puran poli is an Indian flatbread stuffed with a sweet lentil paste and seared on a flat pan till cooked. There are many variations in the recipe depending on the region of India and the availability of local ingredients. The following recipe is the one I have learnt from my grandparents and that is made at home for many festivities.
|For the filling|
|Split chickpeas||360 grams|
|Jaggery, chopped into cubes||240 grams|
|Grain sugar||120 grams|
|Nutmeg powder||¼ teaspoon|
|Cardamom powder||¼ teaspoon|
|For the dough|
|Whole wheat flour||120 grams|
|Refined wheat flour||120 grams|
|Cold water||120 ml|
|Refined vegetable oil||3 tablespoons|
|Refined wheat flour for sprinkling on the dough||50 grams|
Yield: This recipe yields 17 flatbreads. Usually consumed by 7-8 people.
Equipment: Large pot, colander, food processor, ladles, bowls, rolling pin, non-stick pan or flat top
- Wash the split chickpeas.
- In a large pot, add the washed split chickpeas and water. Start cooking on medium heat. Do not cover the pot.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the dough with cold water. Cover the dough with refined vegetable oil and rest the dough for 1 hour.
- After an hour, knead the dough once again. Rest till the filling is ready.
- Check if the lentils are cooked. If the lentils are very soft and you can break them without any resistance, then turn off the heat.
- Drain off all the water in a colander.
- Transfer the lentils to a food processor. Make a fine paste.
- In another pot, add the lentils, jaggery, sugar, salt and saffron. Cook for another 30 minutes stirring continuously.
- Once the mixture becomes stiff and leaves the sides of the pot, remove from heat.
- To make the flatbreads, take 30 grams portion of the lentil mixture and form into a round ball.
- Take 20 grams of the prepared dough and make a disc of 5 inches using the rolling pin. Now keep the lentil mixture in the centre and cover with the dough from all sides forming a ball.
- Sprinkle some refined wheat flour and roll this ball into a flat disc of 7 inches.
- Cook the flatbread on a non-stick pan or a flat top, whichever is available.
- Serve hot with milk, clarified butter or as is.